Govt. of West Bengal
Bethune College
Bethune College

About Us

59b4e2e6a4931slide2.jpg

Krishna Chandra College was established in 1897 in the heart of Hetampur village in the Birbhum district of West Bengal. It is the oldest college of the district to create an atmosphere of learning and pedagogy for the first time in this area. It was founded by Maharani Padma Sundari Devi, wife of Maharaja Ramranjan Chakraborty, in the name of her father-in-law Raja Krishna Chandra. Before the formal start of its functioning, the college got in 1896 the seal of approval from the University of Calcutta to teach the Arts course initially. For about 25 years, the college functioned as an intermediate College. In 1923, it obtained the permission to teach B.A course. In 1956, the college becomes a Government-Sponsored Institution. B. Sc course was introduced in 1958. Since the early sixties, the college began to offer Honours courses, one after another, and now it has 15 Departments in Arts, Science and Commerce streams which is not an insignificant achievement for a college located in rural area. Hence, propounding the idea of an all inclusive and comprehensive notion of education without compromising with the quality remain an important vision of the college since its inception.

 

 

college began to offer Honours courses, one after another, and now it has 15 Departments in Arts, Science and Commerce streams which is not an insignificant achievement for a college located in rural area. Hence, propounding the idea of an all inclusive and comprehensive notion of education without compromising with the quality remain an important vision of the college since its inception